- 2 pounds potatoes, such as Yukon gold, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup cream or half and half
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil,
- 1 3/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef stock or broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire, eyeball it
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen tender white corn
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Boil potatoes in salted water until tender when poked with a fork. Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Combine creme fraiche, butter, and cream. Add the cream mixture into potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth.
While potatoes boil, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to hot pan with beef. Season meat with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat for 3 or 4 minutes. . Add chopped carrot and onion to the meat. Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently. In a second small skillet over medium heat cook butter and flour together 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute. Add gravy to meat and vegetables. Stir in peas and corn.
Preheat broiler to high. Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture. Spoon potatoes over meat evenly. Top potatoes with cheddar cheese and broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until cheese is melted and potatoes are evenly browned. Top casserole dish with chopped parsley and serve.