I cannot tell a lie. This recipe comes from the queen, Martha Stewart. It has been floating around on pinterest for a while now and I’ve always looked at it and thought, “hmmm, maybe I’ll try those.” Then one day, my fabulous friend, Stacey, showed up at my door with a plate full of these in her hands! They are so yummy. And so worth the little bit of extra effort it take s to make them. I served them at an event my mom and I catered in San Francisco the other night and they were a huge hit!
Toasted coconut Thumbprint Cookies with Salted Caramel
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Table salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
- 44 small soft caramel candies (12 ounces), such as Kraft
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- Large, flaky sea salt, such as Maldon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat together butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, then beat in vanilla. With mixer on low, gradually add flour and 1/2 teaspoon table salt, and beat to combine.Press dough together in plastic wrap, then roll into 1 1/4-inch balls.
( I skipped that last part and just used my small cookie scoop to create the dough balls, straight out of the mixing bowl, it worked just fine. I’m all about finding an easier way. I also scooped all my balls into a separate mixing bowl so that once the dipping began, I wouldn’t have to be trying to scoop balls again. See picture below)
Dip each ball in beaten egg, and roll in coconut.
Place balls on parchment-lined baking sheets, and press an indentation into each with your thumb.
Bake for 10 minutes, then remove sheets from oven, and re-press indentations.
Bake cookies until golden, 9 to 10 minutes more. Let cool on wire racks.
- Place caramels and heavy cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the caramels are melted and mixture is smooth, 4 to 6 minutes.Spoon into indentations in cookies, and sprinkle with sea salt.
Rewarm caramel if it hardens before all cookies are filled.
One thought on “Toasted Coconut Thumbprint Cookies with Salted Caramel”
Pingback: Stacey’s Meltaway Cookies « Lucy Jane's Best