Quinoa os all the rage right now, right? It’s popping up in recipes all over the place. So, what’s the big deal? Well, from what I’ve learned it’s an amazing grain because it is the only grain that is also a protein. It’s a “super food” that we should all be eating. I tried it plain once, and didn’t care much for it that way, but incorporated into a lovely salad like this it is delicious!
Red Quinoa, Black Bean, Corn & Avocado Salad
- 1 cup red quinoa, cooked with broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1, 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups sweet white corn kernels, frozen or canned
- 1 avocado, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup red onion, finely diced
- ¾ cup Trader Joe’s Cilantro Salad dressing
- ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- zest of 1 lime
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
Cook quinoa with broth according to package directions. In a bowl, combine beans, corn, avocado, tomatoes, red bell pepper and onion. Add salad dressing and toss to coat. Add salt, pepper and lime zest. Add ½ the cilantro and toss again. Set aside.
When quinoa is cooked, toss with olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, add to other ingredients and toss to combine. Garnish salad with remaining cilantro.
*** I like to add 1 cup of the lemon pepper chicken to this salad to make it a meal for lunch!